St Giles Church Gt Maplestead
The Church Officers
Rector: Gay Ellis 01787 460273 or 07749 838769 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
16 Church Ponds Castle Hedingham Essex CO9 3BZ
Mrs. Gill Peskett Four Seasons, Church Street 01787-462786
Mrs. Jill Newton Crackstones, Church Street 01787-463893
Mrs. Mary Elms 01787 461421
Mrs. Paula Sillett 4 Stone Cottages, Church Street 01787-462253
The church was built around 1100, probably on the site of a pagan temple and located importantly, in the centre of the village, with a great view of the surrounding countryside, which probably hasn’t changed much in century’s.
This Norman building subtly dominates the village, even today. It has much early work and a comparatively rare ground plan of an apsidal sanctuary, quire and nave; to which a massive western tower was added a few years later. The Quire was rebuilt in 13thC, and in the 14thC the south transept and south aisle were added, followed by the North aisle in 1861.
The Deane or Dynes Chapel was added in 1626 to contain 2 monuments to the Deane family of Dynes Hall in the parish. (thought to have been at Dynes Hall since the 13thC)
The imposing Tower contains 3 bells; the frame and one bell dating from 15thC. The Tower was struck by lightning in 1612, and rebuilt - partially in red brick.
Recent changes, aided by two parishioners legacy's, include a kitchen, excellent refurbished pipe organ, sound system, meeting room and even a loo!
St Giles Church History
Deanery of Hinckford
The Rev. Gay Ellis has been appointed half-time Priest in Charge, with a full and equal share of the ministry undertaken by Nick Ellis in his role as Reader
The Church and Churchyard are administered by the Church Wardens, supported by the Parochial Church Council (PCC) who ensure the fabric and finances are managed.
ancient Grade 1 Listed building
Gestingthorpe, Great Maplestead, Pebmarsh & Little Maplestead Parishes
Join our Benefice email list for news & updates email@example.com